Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dinner & Dialogue @ Texas Caribbean Foods

This past King Holiday was an eventful day to say the least. It began early with a breakfast gathering of Morehouse College brothers. This gathering of 'Men of the Mystique' is always an empowering and gratifying experience. This was a gathering of young and old whom had matriculated and graduated from 'The House.' I can truly say, beyond any other organization, that Morehouse men have an indescribable bond of brotherhood, wherein, whether it is years later or continents apart, it is like you are transported right back to your days 'on the yard' whenever you see another true Morehouse brother. It is genuine brotherhood.

Second on the agenda was the African-American Pastor's Coalitions, of which I am apart, Martin Luther King, Jr., Celebration Service. This an annual event, that is very well attended and covered each year by the local news organizations and their cameras, because there is always the true possibility that something will be said or done by someone that will 'light up' the community and make the evening news sound bites. In addition, the service moves each year to a church of one of the member Pastors so that there is always a 'fresh' environment of excitement and electricity among the members, visitors and atmosphere. This year the service was held at the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church off of Washington and Ross Avenues near Cityplace, where the Rev. Curtis W. Wallace is the Senior Pastor.

This years guest was one of my personal favorite preachers from Chicago, Illinois, Pastor Stephen J. Thurston of the New Covenant Missionary Baptist Church. Pastor Thurston holds the distinction of being the youngest President of the National Baptist Convention of America, Inc. I am thankful to Pastor Thurston as he has been a friend to me since I began my ministry, he has opened his pulpit to me as I have preached there on a number of occasions and I admire his approach to the preaching art and moment. We, a group of young preachers, once asked him at a convention, why do you preach so hard? His response was, God has been so good to me, I never know when it will be my last time, so I preach every time like it is my last time. Wow. That statement has sunk into and stuck with me over the years and I have taken that approach as my own, because God has been just that good to me, and more.

The last event of the day was a Dinner & Dialogue invitation only gathering at Texas Caribbean Foods at the ever popular South Side On Lamar. Ms. Jan Gore is the proprietor and cook extraordinaire of this establishment. I must say before going any further, the food is 'off the chain!' Hence, one of the reasons for my current diet, for all the weight I have gained eating here. From the jerk chicken wings and rice to the Jamaican meat and vegetable patties to her personal Island Iced Tea to the slammin banana pudding and key lime pie desserts, this is a treat you don't want to miss out on. Come by South Side On Lamar to experience the total flavor of Texas Caribbean Foods, ask for Jan and tell her I sent you!

What made this night special, was the gathering of distinct individuals and characters from all walks of life, status and race. This, mixed with the intent to provide a means of dialogue about the meaning of the message of and the man Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was ingenious and possibly explosive. The night was one of learning, sharing and exposing the sometimes limited views and colored perceptions we have of each other because of our own life experiences and even cultural upbringings. At my table were two whites and three blacks, among them were Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway. Needless to say, our table was the most lively of the night. I have much respect for the way this man's mind works, the burden he carries for our people and the tireless work he invests to uplift them. I also had the privilege to meet at our table a banker, a developer and the founder of the original 'Dining Table' concept held here in Dallas every year. This is where a cornucopia of cultures gather to discuss meaningful ideas and exchange life experiences while sharing over food. Even since Biblical days, the 'table' has always been a place of gathering and sharing. Not only where one's physical self fed, but also one's spirit and mind were nourished. Even now, in most cultures, most significant gatherings take place, 'around the table.'

What a night this was. I was challenged to examine some of my own beliefs and belief systems. I was forced to see myself as others see me and no just how I see myself. I was pushed to move beyond the personal perimeter of my comfort zone to relate and receive the personal experiences of others and how it affected their lives and their interactions and most times misconceptions of others, including me. I left enlightened, educated and encouraged. I left with three new friends. I also left with the clear understanding that although we are uniquely different and most times highly opinionated, we are more alike than our differences.

I will be a consistent participant in future Dining Tables and in Jan Gore's Dinner & Dialogue's. The experience was enriching and needless to say, very, very tasty! If not for the awesome people whom I met that night, to the friendships created, the food alone is worth it.Check out www.texascaribbeanfood.com, look Ms. Jan Gore up, and go get a taste of the Caribbean right here in the southern state of Texas! You'll love it 'Mon!'

Agape,'
Pastor P
Making It Great In '08!

No comments: