Friday, February 29, 2008

Night 'N Day... A worldwind experience in 24 hrs

Wow! What a difference a day makes... We have all heard the phrase, but have you 'lived' it?

The last 24 hrs has been a worldwind sort of existence, and I love it! Having a zeal for real life is about varied experiences and getting the most out of each that you can. Well, the pendulum has swung from far left to far right within 24 hours. Sometimes, all I can do is hold on for the ride and experience the rush! Gotta love life!

Night before last I had a 'lil fun (I did get to get my groove on afterall!), and all for a good cause! In celebration of her latest CD release, New Amerykah, Erykah Badu held a CD signing session at Bill's Records & Tapes on Lamar on Tuesday, a CD listening party and jam session at The House of Blues on Wednesday and a charity fundraiser party at The W Hotels, Ghostbar, for her non-profit B.L.I.N.D. on Thursday. B.L.I.N.D. stands for Beautiful Love Incorporated Non-Profit Development that 'is making positive social change through economic, artistic and cultural development in South Dallas.'

The party was off the chain! It was a straight old school jam! In the house and on the mike was Erykah Badu and Talib Kweli. It was mad funkyness on the mike! Freestylin' and freeflowin'. In the DJ booth and on the mike, was none other than the party starter and house rocker himself, Biz Markie! (...Oh baby, you, you got what I need, but you say he's just a friend, you say he's just a friend!) The place was jumpin' with 'ol school track after 'ol school track! Everytime he mixed in a new song, the place went wild! I thought the floor was going to cave in! Then there was a surprise appearance from who else, but Dave Chappelle! It was a total riot and a complete jam!

Now, once again, how I got these coveted tickets is another story. And how we ended up in VIP is another story! Suffice it to say, this always happens to me. Somehow, someway, without asking, I end up in the best of places, meeting the most interesting of people. We actually ended up, in a packed Ghostbar, behind the ropes in VIP, on the right hand side of the stage. So close, we couldn't get any closer. Our hands were on the stage! I am high-fiving Dave Chappelle as he tells jokes and goes off on people in the dance contest and in the crowd! It was side-splitting hilarious! As you saw in my previous post, I had met Badu again, two days earlier, but tonight she celebrated her birthday complete with cake with a single sparkler on it. Now I have met, Biz Markie (it's nostalgic for me because we used to do the Biz Markie parties in college at Morehouse all the time...Biz over Kid Capri anyday!) and Dave Chappelle, who actually shook my hand and held a conversation, albeit short, but he was mad cool! Chappelle was your everyday, average kind of guy whom you would overlook if you didn't know who he was, and many did as he strolled through the room. But just looking at Chappelle is funny unto itself! Hilarious!

Fast forward to last night, or yesterday evening and it is a totally different scene, but no less exciting! Now I am in the Dallas Public Libray's Auditorium, with distinguished elite in the city of Dallas attending the Dallas Public Library and World Affairs Council's author lecture series, "AuthorSpeak." From the City Manager of Dallas to other city coucil members, former candidates for mayor, radio personalities and business men and women from all arenas of life. I might have been the youngest person in the room amid all the self-styled sophistication, to hear Former San Francisco Mayor and Speaker of the California State Assembly Willie Brown, Jr., speak on his new biography, Basic Brown: My Life And Our Times.

Mayor Brown, as he is affectionately known, is one of the most engaging personalities you will ever meet. He is a consumate storyteller and shameless self-promoter, who has an obvious zest for life and is completely in love with himself! Yet, his narcissim is palatable and even enjoyable because of his intellectual prowess and humorous wit. Both black and white, all older, where laughing out loud at his recantations of foible political events in his life. It was completely magnetic. Here again, as I spoke of Barack Obama, charisma is not something you can learn, it is inate and Willie Brown has it.

Once again, I had the privilege of meeting him afterwards, shaking his hand and holding an albeit brief conversation while he signed my copy of his book. All this while he was checking out my haberdashery (that's clothing for those of you who don't know) because he is a self-proclaimed unapologetic fashion fanatic! I must humbly submit your boy had Mayor Brown beat hands-down today! Check the picture for yourself! Ha!

Nevertheless, it was quite an experience and I cannot wait to begin reading the book. Very few things are as fulfilling to me as a good book. I am excited by the law and politics and the lives of those who have shaped our country in some form or another through these means. It promises to be an interesting read.

The night was capped off with dinner at the ultra-hip steakhouse NINE in Victory Plaza across from American Airlines Center. This is not your father's steakhouse. No wood panelling. No pictures of ducks on the wall. No oversized and overstuffed highback, button-punched leather booths. This is an open kitchened, marbled walls and floors, shimmering colums, color changing neon-mood lighted, suede boothed tricked out steakhouse. It is hip to the 'NINES", get it?! The filet mignon with bernaise sauce was tasty and tender, the lobster bisque was slammin' and the Tres' Leches cake topped it off for desert and I didn't have to pay! It was a good day!

I simply want to thank God for the few real friends in my life. People who really don't want anythig from me, but just like to be around and give to me. Thank you. Thank you for being consistant. Thank you for being positive. Thank you for being sacrificial and doing even when you don't feel like it! Thank you for bringing a slice of joy and peace to my life.

(btw...this day (the last 24 hrs) reminds me of the kind of woman I desire in my life, by my side. A woman who can groove to Badu and get hyped with The Biz and yet enjoy intellectual stimulation and show class and style while listening to Mayor Brown. Fun and sophistication all wrapped up in a beautiful package that undoubtedly loves the Lord!)

One mo' thing! Today is the last day for early voting in the Texas primaries! Participate in the process! GO VOTE!

Life is good!

AGAPE,
Pastor P
Making It Great In '08!
Loving Life And Living To Love

1 comment:

Mrs.Jones said...

Wow, what a pretty exciting time you've had this week! I'm so excited about your overflow of blessings, you deserve it!! With all that's been going on, when do you have time to sleep? I guess those power naps really work for you. lol!

God Bless,

Mrs. Jones